ORDER OF THE DAY | Wednesday, June 14, 2017
Cabinet Address – “what a joy it has been”
Rev. Dan Bryant*
Dean of the Cabinet the Rev. Dan Bryant stated, “what a joy it has been to minister alongside of gifted brothers and sisters to see their love for Jesus, for the church and for the calling to lead and to love the people whom they serve.”
Bryant shared that the cabinet strives to model excellence, compassion, integrity and openness to new possibilities.
“The intentional, prayerful and strategic decisions we make at our table related to pastors, churches, communities and resources seek to support pastors and churches to help build a greater capacity for growing vital and vibrant communities of faith,” he said. “We strive to help churches and pastors deepen their knowledge of dynamic worship, discipleship pathways, leadership development, cultural competency, community engagement, advocacy, stewardship, small groups … all for the purpose of helping our local churches become more healthy and vibrant as they seek to reach more people, younger people, and a more diverse people.”
Bryant spoke of several initiatives that are designed to resource clergy and local churches:
- Emerging District Strategy Advisory Teams to assist struggling churches in the process of assessment;
- Healthy and Vital Transition Training that provides tools and tips to clergy and churches who experience a pastoral change;
- New Clergy Orientation to help those serving a church for the first time begin an effective and meaningful ministry;
- The Rule of Christ process to equip Staff Parish Relations Committees in developing a system and process for managing conflicts within the life of the church; and
- Critical Response Team training to be used in local churches when a crisis occurs that impacts the church and its community.
“We are staying focused on the vision of being the church and will continue to model consistency, nimbleness and clarity as we strive to make disciples of Jesus Christ for the transformation of the world.”
Bryant reminded the body to be encouraged, and to remember that it is not doing ministry on its own.
*Dan Bryant is Dean of the Cabinet, Youngstown District Superintendent