The United Methodist Committee on Relief (UMCOR) is working with disaster coordinators and Early Response Teams (ERT) in several areas of the world following recent deadly hurricanes.
Do No Harm right now:
- Do Not “self-deploy” into a region until invited. It is important that emergency responders, governmental agencies and the American Red Cross do their respective jobs so that teams can be invited to enter a disaster area.
- Do Not send supplies and clothes. Unwanted items sent into disaster zones become burdens on an already overwhelmed area.
Do Good right now:
- Pray for the communities impacted by the storm, the lives forever changed, and those responding.
- Collect an offering or host a fundraiser in your local church. The church treasurer will forward the collected money to the conference director of Financial and Administrative Services. Because of our connectional network, 100% of all funds will be delivered to persons directly involved in or responding to the disaster. Funds can be directed to any of the following: (Please list on the memo line of your check)
Fund EOC 1310 – Hurricane Harvey Recovery
Fund EOC 1320 – Hurricane Irma Recovery
Fund EOC 9046 – Support EOC United Methodist Volunteers in Mission (UMVIM) teams
Advance 901375 – North Central Jurisdiction (NCJ) UMVIM
Advance 901670 – UMCOR U.S. Disaster Response
Advance 982450 – UMCOR International Disaster Response
- Assemble relief kits. Distribution centers are in need of UMCOR Cleaning Supply Kits and UMCOR Hygiene Kits.
- Host an East Ohio relief kit collection site for assembled UMCOR Cleaning Supply Kits and UMCOR Hygiene Kits. Please e-mail Karen Upson at D1k2u3@outlook.com to learn more.
- Transport assembled relief kits to:
- Eastbrook Mission Barn in New Castle, PA
Midwest Mission Distribution Center in Chatham, IL
- Learn about leading a mission team locally, nationally, or internationally by attending September 23 or November 4 training opportunities.
- Lead an Early Response Team. East Ohio is awaiting an invitation to send trained ERTs to Texas. To be considered for a future team, you must have completed a previous UMVIM Early Response Teams training course. If you are trained and are interested in being part of a future East Ohio team, please e-mail Mike Williams at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Trained ERTs should consider volunteering to assist with these UMVIM Long-Term Projects.
You may support ongoing training, response and relief by making a donation payable to your local church. Those donations will be passed from your church treasurer to the annual conference treasurer and then onto the fund of your choosing.
The fund names and numbers to include on the memo line of your check are:
- Fund EOC9046 – East Ohio United Methodist Volunteers in Mission (UMVIM)
- Fund 901375 – North Central Jurisdiction UMVIM
You may also collect items for:
Thank you for your continued prayers and for the donation of your time and financial resources as we work together across The United Methodist Church to respond to those in need.
Disaster Response Chair
The East Ohio Conference Office:
located in North Canton, OH.
near the Akron-Canton airport.
8800 Cleveland Ave. NW ·
North Canton, OH 44720
Toll Free: 800-831-3972
Office Hours: Monday through Friday 8:30 a.m. – 4:00 p.m.
©2016 EAST OHIO CONFERENCE. All Rights Reserved.