East Ohio Camps COVID-19 Protocols & Procedures
In an effort to keep our campers, staff, volunteers, and families safe, East Ohio Camps will implement the following COVID-19 practices and procedures. These will remain in effect through the entirety of the summer season, or until otherwise revised.
Our Camping Ministry consists of three distinct centers that offer summer camp programs – Camp Aldersgate, Camp Asbury, and Camp Wanake. The below guidelines are our general practice across all centers. Detailed logistics of how these guidelines are practiced at each unique center will vary based on location.
Updated: March 17, 2021.
How Will Camp Be the Same?
Many things remain the same! We will have campfire worship, hike, swim, create, play, and make lasting memories with camp friends! How we do some of these things may look different. We are diligently preparing a program that meets our vision of sharing God’s love and having fun, while managing the challenges that COVID-19 brings.
What to Expect Before Coming to Camp
- East Ohio Camps asks all campers, volunteers, and staff to complete a 14 Day Pre-Camp Health Practice Form prior to their week of camp. This form lists specific pre-camp social expectations, asks for daily temperature and self-assessment health checks.
- In the 2 weeks prior to camp be prepared to …
- Limit non-essential travel,
- Limit non-essential interactions with individuals outside of your immediate household,
- Follow all state social distancing and masking guidelines.
- Registration for each camp program will closed two weeks prior to its start. This is to ensure that the above safety measures can be taken by all campers, staff and volunteers. Campers who are waitlisted will be asked to follow the 14 Day Pre-Camp Screening process in case they are able to attend the week of camp desired.
Cohort-Based Programming During the Week
- Campers, with their counselors, will move throughout camp in small cohort groups or pods which we call Family Groups or Cabin Groups. These small groups will help limit possible COVID-19 transmission and exposure as well as assist with contact tracing if needed. Assignment to a Family Group will be determined prior to a camper’s arrival and be formed based on age-range and sleeping location.
- Family Groups will function as an independent unit while at camp. Campers will interact with their Family Group members during daily activities and meals. As the weather permits, all activities will take place outdoors.
- Family Groups may interact with each other, but each group must maintain 6 ft. of distance between themselves and wear masks around one another.
- Outdoor worship
- Outdoor worship is encouraged and preferred each week of camp.
- Each Family Group will be assigned a zone that is socially distanced from all other Family Groups during worship.
- Singing will be allowed in a Family Group, in their assigned zone, and with all participants wearing masks.
- Indoor worship
- If outdoor worship is not possible due to inclement weather, counselors will be prepared to lead small group worship in their Family Group. Multiple Family Groups will not be permitted to gather in indoor spaces for worship or any other activities.
- Family Groups will be physically distanced from other family groups while eating.
- Meals will be served plated for each camper or staff member.
Face Coverings and General Health Safety Practices
- All persons at camp will wear masks when indoors (with the exception of eating, sleeping, and restrooms) and outdoors when not able to maintain 6 ft. of physical distance. If a camper is unable to wear a face covering for summer 2021, then we ask that you wait until next summer to register.
- Campers should come with a minimum of one mask per day for the week of camp.
- Cabins and sleeping locations will be filled at a reduced capacity with care given to ensuring 6 ft. of distance between camper heads for sleeping.
- All persons at camp will practice CDC and ACA guidelines for hygiene and cleanliness.
- Handwashing and hand sanitizer will be available and used frequently before and after meals, activities, and interactions.
- All persons at camp will be monitored daily for symptoms.
- East Ohio Camps has learned how to clean in ways that thoroughly disinfect our facilities and our camp equipment. Restrooms, shower areas, and high touch areas will be cleaned and sanitized regularly. In addition, each site has an electro-static backpack sprayer that will aid us in our disinfection protocol of sleeping, eating, programming, and restroom areas between camp sessions.
Arrivals and Departures at Camp
- Arrivals and Departures will be modified for this year. You will receive information by e-mail about the process 4 to 6 weeks prior to your child’s scheduled week of camp.
What If Someone Develops COVID-19 Symptoms?
- Any camper, staff, or volunteer who is showing COVID-19 symptoms will be moved to an isolated room for comfort and monitoring.
- Parent/Guardians will be contacted and the symptomatic camper will leave the camp site.
- If that camper is found to have tested positive for COVID-19, parents/guardians of the other campers in this group will be contacted.
COVID-19 Cancellation Policy
- East Ohio Camp’s Cancellation Policy has been revised to allow greater flexibility to our families when plans need to change due to the COVID-19 pandemic.
- Full refunds are available for those who cannot attend due to circumstances related to the pandemic, including, but not limited to: illness, illness of a close contact, concern for camper well-being, change in pandemic status, parent comfort level with camp participation, etc.
- If a camper has been in close contact with someone who has tested positive for COVID19 or is suspected of having COVID-19, they should not attend camp.
CAMPS AND RETREAT MINISTRIES:
The East Ohio Conference Office:
located in North Canton, OH,
near Akron-Canton Airport.
8800 Cleveland Ave. NW
North Canton, OH 44720
Local: (330) 499-3972
Toll Free: (800) 831-3972
Fax: (330) 499-3279
Monday through Friday
8:30 a.m. - 4:00 p.m.
© EAST OHIO CONFERENCE. All Rights Reserved.