UNITED METHODISTS STAND AGAINST RACISM
We recognize that racism and injustice are deeply embedded and vexing issues within our Church and our communities. We will take action, we will learn together, and we will continue to press forward in transforming our Church, our communities, and our world into the “beloved community.” How can we be silent and stand by when those whom Christ loves are killed by those who are supposed to serve and protect them? How can we further empower our clergy and members to “accept the freedom and power God gives you to resist evil, injustice, and oppression in whatever forms they present themselves?” Will we be among those who recognize Christ saying, “I can’t breathe” (Matthew 25:31-46)? We do not have all of the answers but we commit to take these next steps together. - from the Anti-Racism Commitment signed by Bishop Tracy S. Malone & the Extended Cabinet
- Read the full Anti-Racism Commitment signed by Bishop Tracy S. Malone & the Extended Cabinet
- Read the Covenant to Resist Racism signed by EOC Laity and Clergy
- Read about the 2020 EOC Peace With Justice Walk
- Read Bishop Malone’s message “Dismantling Racism … Where Do We Go from Here?” written following the conviction of ex-police officer Derek Chauvin for the murder of George Floyd.
- Read the Board of Multicultural Vitality statement celebrating two momentous announcements that highlight the importance of standing against racism and promoting equality and opportunity for all.
- Read the Board of Multicultural Vitality statement encouraging clergy and laity to prayerfully and consciously seek ways to respond to racism and violence against Asians and Asian Americans.
- Read the full article about Black Theologian Day 2022. Black Theologian Day is an annual learning opportunity in the EOC for pastors, congregations, and faith communities to hear from a Black theological perspective.
The East Ohio Conference Office:
located in North Canton, OH,
near Akron-Canton Airport.
8800 Cleveland Ave. NW
North Canton, OH 44720
Monday through Friday
8:30 a.m. - 4:00 p.m.
© East Ohio Conference. All Rights Reserved.